Sunday 1 February 2015

Follow The Leader by Mel Sherratt




"A man’s body is found on a canal towpath. In his pocket, a magnetic letter in the shape of an E.

Days later, a second victim is found, this time with the letter V tucked into her clothing.

As the body count rises, the eerie, childlike clues point to a pattern that sends DS Allie Shenton and her colleagues into full alert.

The race is on. Allie and the team must work quickly to determine where the killer will strike next. The rules are simple but deadly—to catch the killer, they must follow the leader."


**************************************************

Wow. What a great read. I am unable to give this anything less than top marks … it was that good. I was not aware of Mel Sherratt before reading this but I certainly am now and I will most definitely look out for her books in the future.

This is the second in the DS Allie Shenton series but I don’t feel it essential that the first one is read - I hadn’t read it - but the author has written this so well, that I didn’t feel I was missing something and it can be read as a standalone.

I think it’s a real skill that an author is able to give away who the killer is at the beginning and keep the reader on their toes throughout. This author manages this with ease but not only that, she also gives us the “why” and the “who” as well and still makes the story full of suspense and anticipation.

The story is written from the point of view of various characters but rather than this causing confusion, it really made the book as it brought those characters to life. It is also written in the past and present with the author providing snippets of the past life of many of the characters whilst also shedding light on the motivations behind the murders.

This book is not just a great story about a serial killer or about the police investigation, it is so much more than that. It highlights the potential outcome of abuse and bullying in childhood which resulted in me jumping between abhorrence and sympathy not only for the killer but also the victims.

The ending makes you want more … I shouted out “no” after reading the final words as I didn’t want it to end and I am so looking forward to the next instalment.

I would like to thank the publisher, Thomas & Mercer, and Netgalley for providing me with an advance copy in return for an honest review and for introducing me to another fabulous British author.

No comments:

Post a Comment