Saturday 20 December 2014

The Kill by Jane Casey




The Kill (Maeve Kerrigan #5)

by Jane Casey


Maeve Kerrigan is used to investigating murders. But this time a killer has struck far too close to home...

When a police officer is found shot dead in his car, DC Maeve Kerrigan and DI Josh Derwent take on the investigation. But nothing about the case prepares them for what happens next: a second policeman dies . . . and then another . . .

The Metropolitan Police struggle to carry out their usual duties, but no one knows where or how this cop killer will strike again. While London disintegrates into lawlessness Maeve's world starts to fall apart too. For if the police can't keep themselves safe, how can they protect anyone else?

************************************************

I received a copy of this book from the Dead Good Crime Book Group on www.goodreads.com and I want to thank them, once again, for introducing me to another new author that I may never have found.

I haven't read any of the preceding books in this series so started reading with no background or information on any of the characters at all.  In hindsight, I think it would have been better to have that knowledge as I did find myself wondering where some of the characters were coming from.  Having said that though, I thought it was well written with engaging and complex characters.  The storyline was great, delivered with good pace and with interesting twists.  I like the relationships between the various characters and despite Derwent being a chauvinistic pig, he was the cause of an internal battle I had with myself - one minute I liked him, the next he was a total [insert appropriate swear word].  Derwent was also the one who made me laugh out loud by his ludicrous statements and the situation he found himself in towards the end of the book.

Overall, a good read but one that would probably have been much better had I read previous books in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment