Saturday 13 September 2014

Short story eBook review - Plague by T Joseph Browder

Plague by T Joseph Browder




One man, alone with his children. One world, in the grip of the worst viral outbreak in human history. Nowhere to run. Nowhere to hide. No place is safe. What lengths would you go to to protect the life of your child?

They kill. Violently and without warning. They are monsters. They prey on the living. They are not zombies. They are something much worse.

Prepare yourself for T. Joseph Browder's darkest and most controversial tale yet. It's not scary because it could happen, it's terrifying because someday, in the near future, it might.


****************************************

This is not your usual “zombie” tale, it’s so much more than that. It is quite a sad short story of trying to survive when you think there is no hope. I am of the belief that there is always hope but this made me question that.

This short story opens with a bang when a husband has to kill his wife with an axe in front of his children. The graphic nature in which this is written does not let up throughout the book however, it is not over-the-top or gratuitous. I did however find it a bit too technical and in depth when describing the virus which, I felt was too much and admit to skim-reading that part; it didn’t add anything to the story for me but may do so for people who are more physics/biology minded and like to know the ins and outs of that kind of thing.

This is a short story and therefore I am not going to give anything away about the development or clues to the outcome but before you read it, ask yourself one question … would you do anything for your children? This story made me think very hard about that question and I would hope that I would have as much bravery as the father in this short story and say yes but, and this is the real question, could I live with my choices???

I like a book that challenges my beliefs and this managed to do this despite it being short. I would read something else by this author.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this from the author but this has not influenced my review in any way.

No comments:

Post a Comment